What is the purpose of learning English?
- To be able to communicate with person from another different country.
- Preparation for holidays abroad and future jobs.
- Read idols as well as internet newspaper
- Understand English songs
What characterizes a good language learner?
- Someone motivated and who want to learn.
- Someone that doesn't give up, although he/she make mistakes.
- Someone that does the best of itself.
- Someone that feels comfortable and confident in the classroom.
Key components of communicative language ability
· Fluency: you can manage communication with other English speakers. Communciate and understand with ease and rapidity. When you speak like a native speaker.
· Linguistic competence: knowing about grammar, or formal aspects of English language. The learner can analyse and translate sentences of the foreign language. Be able to realize and see structures and patterns related to the L1 (metalinguistic awareness). It comprises the basic elements of communication. Aspects as : vocabulary, pronunciation, spelling,etc.
· Pragmatic competence: to be able to adapt the language into suitable social contexts or situations. Using the language appropriately according to different contexts. Being able to understand messages ( based on, for instance, content, intonation).Understanding levels of formality politeness, etc.
· Discourse competence: understanding dialogues, monologues, conversation. Use the language in spoked written discourses.
· Strategic competence: the aim is to avoid misunderstandings, realize you are been understood by using: body-language , paraphrasing, simplify language, slow-down when you are talking, pronounce words clearly.
|Examples of activities in a communicative classroom|
What goes on in a communicative classroom?
- Deals with what semms relevant( materials, news, etc), and useful for the student.
- Practical/ real- life activities
- Errors are tolerated or ignored.
- Speaking , emphasized on meaning, not form ( grammar).
- Positive atmosphere
- Teacher are advisors or facilitators of knowledge.
- Lots of pair work, group work : space is needed.
- Cooperation is important : use the language, aids learning.
We do a reasoning gap activity. Firstly, in groups of 4 people, we have to explain what is going on in each picture
Aim: to describe pictures. Listening, creative skill
Opinion gap activity
We make a dynamic role-play which is to act like you're someone different article to which you are. It is a good activity to do it with kids because:
- As the work is carried out in small groups, students will feel more confident about talking.
- Small group lets children feel more confident when they are speaking English.
- Children could be find fun and motivating.
- Children could see that English language is useful, because they can use it in a informal or practical way.
- Children speaks with other classmates, who have the same age and English level more o less.
- The most important aim of the teacher role, as a knowledge facilitator, is make sure that children are speaking English, although they could say some words in their native language.
Nevertheless, there are some disadvantages:
o It is not certain that children talks in English if there isn’t any person control the dynamic. So, for this reason, could be a good way if the teacher manage the task, but preferably in small group.
o The first few times doing this dynamic might be a little difficult for students, perhaps because they are not get to used to do these such activities.